It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Buttons could Be Better
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 am 
I just got my Hydra. I really like it, I enjoy using it so much that I play games just so I can use the Hydra.

The main problem I have with it is that the right controller isn't focused around button placement. If you look at any controller, the right side is usually dedicated to buttons, not centered around a thumbstick. It feels awkward to use the right thumbstick for secondary functions like weapon swapping, something better suited to a d-pad, while tiny buttons that aren't the focus of the controller are the inputs most heavily used.

I see the sixense version of the Hydra being released with wireless, but if anything it appears even more cumbersome and hand-cramping to use than the original. Now if you ask me, the main improvements that could be made to the device is slightly tighter, more springy thumbsticks (they tilt too far because the plastic encircling the thumbstick is too large in diameter), vibration, and the right controller redesigned to center on button, not thumbstick use.

I realize the cost of these improvements would drive the price of the controller higher, but I would easily buy another one were these small but substantial improvements to be made. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:29 pm 

I agree on a lot of points. The biggest problem I've had with the button placement is that the right and left are not mirrored. So Button 1 is on the left side of the stick on each controller, which might sound logical. But in practice, I think it feels more natural to have the buttons in the same relative position, so that if 1 is farthest from your palm on one hand, it should be on the other as well. You can code around this, but it's kind of a pain (for example, jump is button 1 on your left hand, button 2 on your right hand).

I also agree the sticks could be tighter. I'm actually ok with the sticks being centered on each hand, but that could just be that I've used them so much I'm accustomed to it now. I'm pretty skeptical of the layout in the renders of the wireless version. I think they'd be best doing as you recommend or even sticking with the current setup. It looks like a lot of buttons and I can foresee a lot of accidental presses.

That said, I'm trying to reserve judgement on the new controllers until I've gotten my hands on them. I'm worried about comfort and weight more than anything else. The current controllers aren't perfect, but they are extremely light which is great.

I'm also crossing my fingers for positional accuracy improvements. The Hydra seems spot on when making small motions near the base station, but it's tough to calibrate them well enough to maintain that accuracy when you're hands might be feet away.